Joe Austen is a writer of wide range and versatility,who has written more than 30 published books, scripts for more than 100 television programmes, and the lyrics for more than 150 broadcast songs. He has also created a much more extensive series of Additional Portfolios, featuring a wide and varied range of creative properties which have not yet been published or produced, to many of which the rights remain available. The Additional Portfolios of creative properties include the concepts listed immediately below.
- THE OPPERROS ARCHIVES
- THE SINGING CANDLE
- TALES FOR SALE
- THE SECRET ROOM
- THE MEMORY HAT
- BUMPER STORYBOOKS
- THE DOOR TO YONLAND
- The artwork portfolios feature a wide range of media and styles, including:
- Oil-painted portraits.
- Book illustrations.
- Illustrations for magazines and other publications.
- Concept artwork for numerous characters for publishing, television, and other media.
- Storyboards for animation productions and television series.
- Thousands of additional drawings and sketches.
THE MAGIC HOUSE
- Created, wrote and illustrated 24 books in the bestselling Magic House series.
- Created and developed The Magic House for the BBC, for three Television Series, as writer, illustrator, designer, and on-screen storyteller and presenter.
- Created, wrote, illustrated and presented Joe and Co, as a BBC Television Series.
- Writer, illustrator and co-presenter on the BBC Untied Shoelaces Television Series.
- Subsequently developed The Magic House with Scottish Television, as a puppet Television Series for the ITV Network.
- As writer, designer and associate producer of The Magic House Television Series, wrote 55 scripts for three Network series, and designed the puppets, sets, and cell-animated title sequences.
- Created The Magic Bank Club for TSB, based upon The Magic House.
- Designed all of The Magic Bank Club products, and wrote and illustrated every edition of The Teapot Times magazines, which were provided to the 60,000 child members of The Magic Bank Club in Scotland.
- Also created The TSB Microclub for older child customers, edited the Microclub magazine, and designed the computer games which were provided to the 40,000 members of The TSB Microclub in Scotland.
THE STORY STORE
- Originated, wrote, illustrated, designed and developed The Story Store as a concept for television and publishing.
- Established a new stop-frame model animation studio in central London to produce The Story Store Television Series for Carlton Television for the ITV Network.
- Directed and produced The Story Store Television Series,
- Wrote and storyboarded the scripts.
- Designed the puppets and sets.
- Directed the voice recordings by Alan Bennett, Rory Bremner and Stephen Fry.
- Wrote and designed four Story Store illustrated books.
- Established Storyland as a Company, with Lord Richard Attenborough as Company President
- As Creative and Company Director, Joe Austen led Storyland in the origination and development of Creative Properties for publishing, television and other media.
- Participated in every aspect of the Company’s management, operations, and creative initiatives.
- Produced, designed, wrote and storyboarded Music and Moonlight, a Story Store Christmas Special, as a Storyland Television Production for the ITV Network.
- Created and designed Atoz as a concept for feature films and other media.
- Wrote the screenplay for the Atoz feature film.
- Storyland was subsequently publicly listed and became Storyland PLC.
- Joe Austen is one of the world’s foremost golf portrait artists.
- His golf portraits are exhibited in private and public collections throughout the world, including Arnold Palmer’s Bay Hills Golf Club, and The Concession Golf Club in Florida, co-designed by Tony Jacklin and Jack Nicklaus.
- Since 1976, there has been a permanent exhibition of his golf portraits in The Gallery of Champions, a few feet from the eighteenth fairway of The Old Course in St Andrews.
- The Gallery of Champions has been visited by many golfing greats, including Tony Jacklin, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Roberto de Vicenzo, Sandy Lyle, Sir Bob Charles, Peter Alliss, Butch Harmon, Ian Baker Finch, Paul Azinger, Tom Weiskopf, and many others.
- The portraits in The Gallery of Champions include Old Tom Morris, Young Tom Morris, Allan Robertson, Willie Auchterlonie, Harry Vardon, James Braid, J H Taylor, Bobby Jones, Henry Cotton, Sam Snead, Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Lee Trevino, Peter Thomson, Gene Sarazan, Seve Ballesteros, Tiger Woods, Tony Jacklin, Sandy Lyle, Gary Player, Johnny Miller, Tom Weiskopf, Walter Hagen, Ben Hogan and other champions.
- To commemorate the 150th year of The Open Championship, Rolex commissioned Joe Austen to paint a composite portrait of Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, and Gary Player, from which 250 Limited Edition Prints were produced. All of the prints were signed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Joe Austen, and presented by Rolex as gifts to valued clients.
- To commemorate The Ryder Cup at Gleneagles in 2014, Tony Jacklin and Joe Austen are currently working together to create The Tony Jacklin Ryder Cup Collection, as a new series of oil-painted portraits and Limited Edition Prints.
- As the greatest Ryder Cup Captain of all time,Tony Jacklin is selecting the 50 greatest players in the history of The Ryder Cup, whose portraits are being painted by Joe Austen.
- Limited Edition Prints of The Tony Jacklin Ryder Cup Collection are being produced, for co-signing by the champions depicted, Tony Jacklin, and Joe Austen.
- As a business consultant, originated and developed concepts and creative solutions for corporate clients, including Scottish Enterprise, TSB, RBS, British Telecom. NCR and Polygram.
- For Scottish Enterprise, originated and developed the Europarc concept, leading to the establishment of the Europarc at Rosyth, and other subsequent Europarcs in the UK.
- For Scottish Enterprise, in an initiative to promote golf in Carnoustie and elsewhere in Scotland, created the concepts of The Open Plan, The Open Circuit and The Open Arms.
- As brand and strategy consultant to TSB, created the ” T yes B ” concept.
- Branded TSB as the Touch Screen Bank.
- Created the TSB Magic Bank Club for young children, resulting in 60,000 new bank accounts.
- Created the TSB Microclub for older children, resulting in 40,000 new bank accounts.
- For RBS, created the concept of the Dynamic Logo.
- For NCR, created concepts, characters, avatars and designs for interactive ATM screens.
- For British Telecom, developed the Tommy Telecom Club for family markets.
- For British Telecom, created the Glasgownost concept for BT’s Scottish marketing campaign.
- For Polygram, developed concepts for young children for worldwide markets in television, publishing, merchandising, and other media.
- Together with Baillie Marshall Advertising, established Austen Balgray as a Concept Marketing company for corporate clients.
Before embarking upon the various enterprises outlined above, Joe Austen began his career as an art teacher and a teacher of children with learning difficulties.
A lifetime’s experience of publishing, television, and other media and markets has resulted in the great privilege of working with, and learning from, the remarkable abilities, skills and professionalism of some of the greatest talents in those fields. In the course of a lifetime’s work, additional portfolios of creative material have also been originated, which are much more extensive than those which have already been published or produced. The limitless creative possibilities presented by the internet and new media provide unprecedented opportunities to maximise the latent potential of such existing portfolios, and the inspiration to produce new creative material for that brave new world.